Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:33 am

Upcoming Talk: Endangered Canyons of Southern Utah

General Discussion Forum - Spray beta, post trip reports, etc.

by spl » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am

Tuesday, March 6th at 7:30pm in MIT Building 6-120.

The MIT Outing Club is elighted to welcome canyoneer and public lands advocate Harvey Halpern.

Harvey's presentation and photography will detail the fight for wilderness in Southern Utah, centering on Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante National Monuments. His show will highlight the lands that will lose their protected status if President Trump’s unprecedented rollback of public lands protection stands.

This talk is free and open to the public. More info on Harvey's work below. Hope to see you all there!

Background
Harvey Halpern has been canyoneering in the most remote corners of Utah’s canyon country for 40 years. He is a member of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance’s advisory board and has done numerous first descents of technical canyons (and even has a canyon, Hard Day Harvey, named after him).

Harvey has also been professionally photographing wilderness since 1978, with the emphasis of his work on remote canyons of Southern Utah. He says, "By focusing for so long and hard on one region, I have been able to get into some truly remote areas. Some of my photographs are of areas that no one on foot has seen for over 600 years. Being in a truly wild landscape is at the core of what I’m trying to impart. At the same time I delight in challenging the viewer’s perspective on size, color, and perspective itself."
spl

Return to The Crag