Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 am

Boston Area Rock Gyms

General Discussion Forum - Spray beta, post trip reports, etc.

by RjBlake » Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 am

There have a been a few posts on Mountain Project lately where people are asking for info about how / where to meet climbers in Boston, and asking for gym info. I was thinking I'd try to put some info together to copy/paste into those threads, but figured I'd check for other people's opinions first. Thoughts?

RjBlake

by RjBlake » Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 am

Also, I guess membership cost info is an important factor.

In general
$$$: BKB
$$: Metro, CRG
$: Rockspot, BRG

Actual pricing follows if the picture links work.

Adult Memberships

Student Memberships

Family Memberships
RjBlake

by alexarosenbloom » Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am

Also worth flagging is that MITOC members get a really good discount at MetroRock ($450 for an 8 month membership; I know there's also a 4 month option but I'm not quite sure the pricing on that one.) There may also be a discount for other gyms. A MITOC membership is only $25/year.
alexarosenbloom

by fbuibuoy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 am

Nice work, Rob!

I think another good comparison point for these gyms is accessibility to public transit. Would a day pass cost also be another useful metric?

Also, note that BKB does a fair amount of discounted 3-monthly passes (typically around Labor Day, January) or waives activation fees if referred by a member.
fbuibuoy

by cwoodall » Thu May 31, 2018 4:27 pm

BKB and Metrorock also have AAC discounts for day passes and memberships. I don't know if BRG or CRG have these discounts. The discounts definitely pay for your AAC membership though.
cwoodall

by kcraig » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 pm

CRG doesn't have any special discounts (other than the ones mentioned - student, family) as far as I know, but the price does vary by location. For example, the price at Randolph (my gym) is $79/mo, but the price at Watertown is $95/mo.

This does give you access to all the CRG gyms regardless of price, but I think the rule is that you pay based on the gym you go to the most.
kcraig

Return to The Crag