Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am

Inspect your gear to start the season

General Discussion Forum - Spray beta, post trip reports, etc.

by DonGillespie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Found two cracked screws during a gear check at the Mt Washington visitors center before heading up to hermit lake for the night. See image below.

IMG_20181123_204520729.jpg
IMG_20181123_204520729.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 279065 times

Not my screws so I'm not sure how they were stored in the off season but I'm told they weren't abused. Supposedly IME sees this happen a couple of times per season and replaced them.

It's a good reminder to inspect and if necessary replace gear at the start of the season.
DonGillespie

by jakemarasco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Hey Don, thanks for sharing. That’s a little scary.
jakemarasco

by RjBlake » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 pm

I had the same issue with one of mine, noticed it at the end of my first day climbing. I found a few mountain project threads showing the same issue. Petzl will replace if it is within the three year warranty.

Mountain Project Thread

Petzl Contact Forum Petzl Link Submit a description of your issue and the serial number of your item and Petzl will email you with return details.

RjBlake

by DonGillespie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:58 pm

That happened on your first day with the screws? I guess this is more common than I expected.
They're not my screws so if there hadn't been rust on the teeth I wouldn't have picked it up to look at it. I was shocked to see two of them with the same issue.

It definitely made me reevaluate how I inspect my own gear. I tend to focus on the soft goods and look at the hard goods less frequently and for less time. I'll be adjusting that going forward.
DonGillespie

by RjBlake » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Not my first day with the screws, but the first time I had used them this season. I bought it used before the start of last season.
RjBlake

by rbirk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Is this a Petzl Light thing only or for other models / brands too? Would also be interesting how the new BD light screws handle.
rbirk

by DonGillespie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Ron, I'm a not material scientist but I would guess this is from aluminum tube and steel teeth expanding / contracting at different rates with temperature changes so I expect this could impact the BD light screws. Rob said he bought his screw used and I think the owner of the screws I saw was an early adopter so maybe Petzl worked this problem out in later batches? Maybe BD learned from Petzl's issues? We'll see.

Anyone know when Petzl released the light screws?
DonGillespie

by rbirk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 pm

DonGillespie wrote:Ron, I'm a not material scientist but I would guess this is from aluminum tube and steel teeth expanding / contracting at different rates with temperature changes so I expect this could impact the BD light screws. Rob said he bought his screw used and I think the owner of the screws I saw was an early adopter so maybe Petzl worked this problem out in later batches? Maybe BD learned from Petzl's issues? We'll see.

Anyone know when Petzl released the light screws?

I think you are right from what I gathered. Petzl supposedly also fixed the issue and you can send Petzl your cracked oned and get new ones. No official recall though. So if you want new screws cheap, find some old cracked ones to buy :)

People were testing them winter 2013/2014 and they were supposed to have come out July 2014. Not sure when they actually came out but around then. Surprised BD took this long to come with their version.
rbirk

by RjBlake » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:49 pm

I just thought I'd let y'all know that I shipped my screw to Petzl and they are sending a replacement. Easy-peasy. I did have to cover shipping to salt lake city ($7 or so).

Hi Robert,

We have evaluated the Laser Speed Light you returned to Petzl under CC-102043. Unfortunately, we were unable to repair your Laser Speed Light. As we could not repair your specific Laser Speed Light, we will be sending out a replacement. The replacement is being shipped out to you on the next business day. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Bryan Cox
Petzl America | After Sales and Service Department
RjBlake

Return to The Crag