Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 pm

Dawn Wall Goes Free!

General Discussion Forum - Spray beta, post trip reports, etc.

by johngassel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:47 pm

In case you're living under a rock (which would be pretty awesome btw!), I'm sure you heard of the Dawn Wall going free.

I've been following their progress on it like a stalker and I'm really excited for them. Tommy is one of my favorite climbers.

However, I'm a little disappointed by the fact they had such a big crew of people up there. People bringing them supplies, topping out the last pitches without their haul bags, other belayers and people with lights so they can climb in the dark. All props to them for getting it done. But it just seems like they had a bit too much help.

Can't wait to see the video though so I can't complain too much. :roll:
johngassel

by alissadoherty » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:25 am

I read that Kevin and Tommy actually did belay each other on every pitch and I believe they did their own hauling (they mentioned hauling in one of their short videos). They also went back a few days later to clean up everything they had left behind.

All in all, I think the media fanfare did take away some of the adventure but they seemed to work really hard at doing it in good style.
---

Alissa Doherty

"What is above knows what is below, what is below does not know what is above." - Rene Daumal
alissadoherty

Return to The Crag