Welcome Anonymous !

Login or Register

User Menu

Login

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:57 pm

Camera for Climbing Trips

Geek out over your new gear. Share your reviews. Try to sell stuff.

by cwoodall » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:19 pm

So I have been using my phone camera and generally I feel it is awesome. There are a few things I don't like about it.

1. No real zoom
2. Does poorly in low light conditions
3. No good way to attach it to my person while taking photos. This is especially true when top belaying trying to get a good photo. I often have to put the phone in my mouth to take in slack.
4. Image quality is suspect, I generally find it to be fine zoomed out, but I would like to make more prints out of photos I take while climbing in the future.

Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Sony RX100 and H DSC-HX80 series cameras, both seem pretty good with the RX100 being a bit more expensive but having higher quality.

I have looked at the mirrorless type micro 4/3rds cameras (Sony Alpha 5100), but I think they are still a bit bulky and that for me something that is easy to transport has higher utility to me personally. I am willing to trade some quality/versatility for portability, but still want an upgrade over a phone camera.
cwoodall

by mattdrayer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 pm

What about the Olympus Tough line, or the Nikon W300? The Wirecutter has a pretty good and recent review article.
Matt Drayer

Ice Program Instructor 2010-2018, Ice Program '09, Rock Program '08
SOLO WFA+CPR | AIARE-1
mattdrayer
Ice Program Instructor

by rbirk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm

I have the RX100. It's a really great camera for the size. Especially when you shoot full size RAW and post process later. Many times you do want just a quick shot and publish and a good camera phone or simpler camera is all you need.

Most phone cameras have digital zoom only so if you try zooming in on them you lose resolution quickly.

You can go to dpreview.com for more info than you may need about different cameras.
rbirk

by JohnChan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm

google pixel 2. takes photos on voice command i believe. i use it for top belay, no issues :D
JohnChan

Return to Gear Room